Otter Tail County Minnesota
Pine Lake Township
From Trygg Historical Maps, Trygg Land Office, Ely, MN www.trygglandoffice.com/maps.html
b=bottom land, m=marsh, p=prairie, s=swamp
Township 136N, Range 38W
[Copied by Lory Brasel, email@example.com, from the book "History of Otter Tail County" Volume I - 1916 by John W. Mason]
An effort was made on March 22, 1880, to organize a civil township out of the four congressional townships, then unorganized, now known as Pine Lake, Corliss, Homestead and Butler, but the commissioners refused to grant the request of the petitioners because they considered the proposed township too large. This petition was signed by the following qualified voters of the four congressional townships above mentioned: A. O. Sherman, James U. Still, George D. Runyon, Levi Oberdiear, Charles B. Fiske, A. Herey, I. B. Greene, William Runyon, David B. William, Charles Runyon, A. M. Taylor, Alfred Saure, James Galleger and Thomas Roon.
Pine Lake township was created by the county commissioners on January 5, 1883, upon the representation of William Boedigheimer and twentv-three other legal voters of the township that the territory in question had a total of twenty-nine citizens of voting age, all but five of whom had signed the petition asking for the creation of the township. The new township was called Pine Lake at the request of the petitioners, who also asked in that petition that the first election be held at the house of Joseph Daiker on the 23rd of the same month. The petition asking for the organization of the township contained twenty-four of the twenty-nine legal voters of the county, to-wit: Matthew Geiseri, John Scheideaker, John Durum, Charlie H. Billings, Martin Schmit, Joseph Daiker, Bernard McManus, G. Kukouski, Charles Gelohin, Julius Glinn, Julius Hollstein, Henrick Harbicht, Hugh McManus, Anton Wagner, Joseph A. Boedigheimer, William Boedigheimer, Gustav Morgenroth, Simon Hauck, Aloys Hauck, John M. Reinhart, Albrecht Strehlow, Henrich Fruchting, Joseph L. Meyer and Albert Harrmann.
Pine Lake was so named originally because of the trees of that species which surround it. It was but natural that the township which included the greater portion of this lake should receive the same name. In fact Pine lake is the only body of water of any size in the township and it covers approximately six sections. Red river, which flows through Pine lake, enters the township in section 6 and leaves it in section 18. The eastern part of the township is drained by small streams which empty into Pine lake. The topography of this township is not unlike that of many other townships in the county. The remainder of the township is slightly rolling, sufficiently so as to make it easily drained. The soil is uniformly fertile and farmers are not yet compelled to resort to artificial fertilizers in order to get good crops.
The Northern Pacific railroad, which was built through thc county in 1871, passes through the southwestern corner of this township and the only village in the township is located in section 33 on this railroad. It was platted by George A. Burbank for Albert and Agusta Boedigheimer, the plat being recorded September 27, 1899. The village was platted as Richland, but owing to the fact that there was another town of the same name in the state, it was later changed to Richdale. The latter has a general store and postoffice which is managed by William Jezewski, who has the sole responsibility of both.
The present township officers are as follow: Supervisors, E. Wendt, William Boedigheimer and Charles Bahls; clerk, J. B. Hemmelgarn; treasurer, F. Rosenthal; assessor, John Schekal; justice, William Jezekski.
Population totals in state and federal census summaries.
Places of birth for Pine Lake Township in the 1905 state census.
The following names have been extracted from original land records (by John Nelson) and Mason's History (by Karen Terry). Angonson , Thor ; Bahls , Charles ; Benjestorf , Henry ; Billings , Charles H , Charlie H ; Boedigheimer , Agusta , Albert , Joseph A , William ; Brown , John ; Burbank , George A ; Butler , Nathan ; Camp , Cassius P ; Clarke , Nehemiah P ; Cloud , Anthony ; Daiker , Joseph ; Davis , Hiram ; Douglass , Andrew E , Calvin F ; Duncan , James S ; Durum , John ; Eifort , Victor ; Fiske , Charles B ; Fruchting , Henrich ; Fruechting , Heinrich ; Galleger , James ; Ganzle , Mary ; Geiser , Matthew ; Geiseri , Matthew ; Gelohin , Charles ; Glimm , Julius ; Glinn , Julius ; Greene , IB ; Griser , Matthew ; Hanover , John ; Harbicht , Henrick , Wreny ; Harrmann , Albert ; Hauck , Aloys , Simon ; Hemmelgarn , JB ; Herey , A ; Herrmann , Albert ; Hollstein , Julius ; Hurnberg , John ; Jezewski , William ; Klarer , Paul ; Koennicke , Emil ; Kohler , Ernst ; Kukouski , G ; Kukowski , Gottfried ; Kwashegrah , Peter ; Loper , Adrian W ; Low , Abiel A ; Mcmanus , Bernard , Hugh ; Melchen , Charles ; Meyer , Joseph L ; Miller , Heinrich E , James H ; Morganroth , Gustav ; Morgenroth , Gustave ; Newbury , Charles ; Oberdiear , Levi ; Reinhart , John M ; Roon , Thomas ; Rosenthal , F ; Runyon , Charles , George D , William ; Saure , Alfred ; Scheideaker , John ; Scheidecker , John ; Schekal , John ; Schmit , Martin ; Schonenberger , Martin ; Sherman , AO ; Sprague , Horace E ; Staab , Frank ; Still , James U ; Strehlow , Albrecht ; Struett , Regina ; Taylor , AM ; Tretheway , William ; Wagner , Anton ; Watson , Judson W ; Weatherhead , Angus , Stephen ; Wendt , E , Edward , John F ; William , David B ; Williams , Emory , Richard A ; Woodbridge , John ; Wright , George B
Return to Otter Tail County Home Page